Mandoza’ fierce battle against cancer

South African kwaito artist Mandoza, real name Mduduzi Tshabalala, has been diagnosed with cancer. The family told Eyewitness News that they are hopeful his health will improve as he battles a brain tumour and prepares to undergo chemotherapy later this month.

Mandoza has collaborated with Namibian artist Gazza (real name Lazarus Shiimi) on the song Penduka and Ees (real name Eric Sell) on Ayoba.

Mandoza’s wife Mpho granted an interview to the YOU magazine in which she revealed intimate details about Mandoza’ condition. She said the artist complained of severe headaches and problems with his eyesights two weeks ago.

It was then that an optometrist advised him to have an MRI scan, which detected the brain tumour.
“It was like history was repeating itself because it sounded very similar to the last time,” she told the magazine. Mpho went on to add that even though his condition is serious, Mandoza is still able to walk, talk and eat, but does have moments where he is “dazed”.

“It’s a serious condition but not critical at the moment, so my husband is at home and like before, we believe that we’ll make it through this again,” she added.

TMG Entertainment has reported that Mandoza has been plagued with various illnesses over the past two years which has seen him in and out of hospital.

According to IOL media reports, Mandoza’s friend and producer Gabriel Gaby Le Roux broke the news on Tuesday this week that the kwaito star was “fighting for his life”, and it has now emerged that he is “serious but not critical”.
Reports state that despite his condition Mandoza is determined to perform at the Thank You SABC concert this Saturday (today).

“He will be at the concert at Orlando Stadium on Saturday. A hundred artists are involved,” Mpho told TMG Entertainment earlier this week.

The entire nation has been united in prayer ever since news of Mandoza’s renewed cancer battle emerged earlier this week.

Speaking to DRUM back in May in an exclusive interview where he was asked to breakdown about when his health challenges began and keeping it a secret from his children and the media.

Mandoza told Drum that it started when he woke up with blood on his pillow and oozing out of his eyes, which was later followed by a series of seizures.

He knocked on doors of many doctors who told him that they could not figure out the problem and in the process depleted the funds of his medical aid.

After several seizures, Mandoza turned to public healthcare and when he had a seizure during a gig in Bloemfontein. He told DRUM that he woke up at Tshepo Themba Private Hospital in Dobsonville. Doctors had to use an electric shock to bring him back to consciousness.

After leaving the hospital, life seemed to go back to normal, but more symptoms developed: his eye continued to bleed every time he tilted his head downwards and he developed sinus problems and often had nose bleeds.

He further stated in the interview that at some point he could not sleep at night, because of the constant pain his right eye. He was taken to St John’s Eye Hospital in Soweto, where a biopsy confirmed that he had cancer.

“In that week when I was in hospital the cancer had spread from between my nose and my right eye,” he said.
He was transferred to the oncology unity at Johannesburg General Hospital and later treated with radiation sessions for seven weeks and three sessions of chemotherapy.

Mandoza became the first ambassador for the Nelson Mandela 46664 concert, and has been invited to many countries, such as Germany, Egypt, Belgium, Australia, London, French Isles, Uganda, Tanzania, Namibia, Botswana.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.