Windhoek – The Katutura Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday provisionally withdrew a rape case against a 52-year-old man accused of raping a five-year-old child. The case was provisionally withdrawn on the grounds that the guardians and the complainant – the child – had failed to show up in court since October last year.
The investigating officer told the court they had been working hard to trace the complainant, but with no success and all investigations related to the case are yet to be finalised.
The investigating officer told the court the contact number that the complainant provided when the case was opened was repeatedly answered by an unknown man, who claims he does not know the complainant or her guardians. The second number provided to the police also went unanswered.
Since the complainant in the case is a minor, the investigative officer said that they would not use the media to trace her.
It is alleged that in December 2015, the accused used physical force on and had sexual intercourse with the minor.
Apart from using force, the suspect is said to have threatened the child victim. The alleged defilement of the minor girl is said to have taken place in Kilimanjaro in Katutura.
Magistrate Desire Ummunani temporarily withdrew the case against the 52 year old, until the minor or any off her relatives have been traced.
The accused had been out on bail of N$3,000, which was granted to him in August 2016.
His bail money has since been refunded.